Hello! I'm writing to let you know that I am alive after all! It's been almost 2 months and I have been less than motivated to make time to write my blog. Here's a run down of what has happened in the last month and a half.
Michelle was here and staying with us for a week and a half in mid-July. We (I?) had such a wonderful time! We spent hours floating around the near by lake. We cooked, we rode 'The Duck' in Seattle, we shopped. We had a marvelous time finding things to keep us busy. This will have to become a yearly tradition. :)
Michelle left on July 24th and I'm honestly not sure what all has happened between then and now. Henry has golfed a LOT... nearly every Saturday.
At the beginning of August we had a retirement celebration for Tacoma CRC's senior pastor, Pastor Rod. Pastor Rod has been the pastor at Tacoma CRC for 36 years. 36 YEARS! He is dearly loved and we're beginning the stressful process of trying to call a new pastor. I know that all of you in Montana know what that's like! We had a program and a picnic with games and the like. It was a fun time of fellowship.
Henry's brother John and his wife Larissa came out for a visit the first week of August. The Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday that they were here the whole family went up to Leavenworth, WA for a little trip. Henry actually worked that Monday and he and I went up after work so we missed out on the tour of the Applet and Cottlet factory. I honestly wasn't that disappointed. I don't even like Applets and Cottlets. We had dinner when we got there and then went back to the hotel (The Enzian of course! The Vander Pol tradition) and played a 'fun' game of peanuts. Some of you know my love **sarcasm** for peanuts.
We started Tuesday off by enjoying the wonderful breakfat that the Enzian Hotel is known for. Then, during breakfast, the little old man who has been doing this for years walks through the dinning room with his huge 'Ricola Horn', for the lack of a more official name, and stands on the outdoor deck railing to play some songs. He's decked out in his old fashioned Bavarian outfit and plays the part well. After breakfast we all went down to the 'Champion Putting Course' for a game of mini-golf. The four guys played together so that they could be as competitive as they liked, and the 4 girls played together so we could actually have fun. After golfing we went lazy river rafting on the Wenatchee river. It was a beautiful day and we had a lot of fun rafting. The rest of the trip included other small activities and was an, overall, good time. Wait! I forgot. On the way home from Leavenworth Dad VP declared that there would be a hike. ... Really? Ugh... I survived.
Friday the bunch of us, minus Eric and Henry who had to work, went up to the Woodland Park Zoo. It was a fun day. Saturday we all went to a Mariner game. Another fun VP family event.
Whew! BUSY week!
I don't totally remember what I did the next week to stay busy. I painted some of my trim. I schemed about how to get Mom and Ashley out for a visit. I took Chief to the Vet. Ugh. Then, Saturday the 15th we had the annual Tacoma CRC golf tournament! Eric and Carla and Henry and I all played as our usual team. We were the defending champs going in. Second was the best we could do this year. Still fun though.
Last Tuesday, the 18th of August, at 9:00am I arrived at the SeaTac Int'l Airport and scooped up MOM AND CRASHO!!! We succeeded in arranging a trip for them to visit before I started the school year. Tuesday Mom and Ashely both slept most of the day... really exciting. We managed to do some cooking, some shopping, and some sight seeing. It was a REALLY wonderful week to have before school started. We saw Salmon running at the Ballard Locks. We saw people crab fishing off of the Des Moines pier. We had a great dinner at cousin Deanna's house with some of the Aunts and cousins that live around here. It was, all around, a great week. Thanks for coming, Mom and Crash!
Saturday Henry and I had the privilage of flying in a classic airplane to Friday Harbor, WA. It was a day trip that we had, more or less, ended up with at the Seattle Christian auction. We flew in a 1947 Stinson Taildragger. That probably doesn't mean much to many of you, but, oh well.
This week was the week. After I had been looking so forward to summer and summer had gone SO fast, school had to come. I still had Monday off, but had to report for duty yesterday. The day went pretty well, but I spent a lot of time in meetings. Today was the same. I'm starting to feel a little panic about whether or not I will get my room ready in time! It'll get done one way or another I suppose.
So, that's where we're at. Actually, we're on the couch watching the Mariner game. Henry's been sleeping on the couch for the last hour. He's becoming an old man in that was I suppose. Even so, he's a cute old man. :)Chief is curled up on his lap and they are snoozing away.
So, we hope you all are happy and healthy! Until we see you again, we love you!!
- Lindsey B. (now more commonly 'Mrs. Vander Pol'), Henry D., and Chief W.W.
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment