Sunday, December 6, 2009

Happy December

Well, November flew by without really being acknowledged in my blog. For that, November, I apologize. So far we've had a good late fall/winter. It has definately gotten colder here in the Pacific Northwest. Not as cold as many other places, of course, but cold enough for us.

Many weekends in November ended up being fun or adventurous or relaxingor all of those things put together. We spent the last weekend of October in Spokane with Mama and Papa Hoekema. We did some Christmas shopping and spent some quality time there and we ate at Sonic, of course.

The next weekend started on November 6th when I boarded a late flight to Milwaukee to visit my dear, dear friend Suzanne. She, however, was unaware of my visit. After some sneaky planning I surprised Suzanne after her and Jason got engaged. I spent a quick, wonderful weekend in Elm Grove and thoroughly enjoyed spending time with Suz again.

On November 12 and 13 we had parent teacher conferences at Seattle Christian. It was a long two days and I'm glad to have that over with for another year.

The following week Henry and I each took 2 days off of work to take a weekend trip away for Henry's 30th birthday. We decided to spend a couple of nights at a lodge up in the mountains. It was wonderful and relaxing. We were sure though to make it home by Saturday night for Church Bowling league (Whew!).

Wednesday, November 25th, Henry and I boarded a late flight that, thankfully, left SeaTac airport on time and headed to Montana. We arrived just before midnight and were tired but very happy to be at the Hoekema house on Canal Rd. Thursday was Thanksgiving and we relived all of the memories and traditions of a typical Thanksgiving holiday in Churchill. It was absolutely wonderful. We started the day at Bethel CRC with a great Thanksgiving day service. We came home to the absolute best smell ever... a turkey, cooked to perfection, and ready to be carved and devoured. We took part in the best Thanksgiving activity EVER. We (I) hovered around the turkey as it was being carved and snuck pieces of delicious goodness. Quality control you know... Family came over and we enjoyed a true feast. After dinner many of us fell asleep on various pieces of furniture while others of us sat around and visited (I was a visitor, fyi). Later in the afternoon we pulled out Phase Ten and played until most of us were sick of it. As we played we, of course, snacked. Shortly after phase ten was put away it was decided that a round of the Farming Game must be played. Around 5:30-6:00 we made mom pull out the left overs and heat them up so we could stuff ourselves some more. It was a truly great day. Friday was THANKSMAS!! The ladies started the day with some shopping the met the guys (who spent the morning 'farming') at Burger Bob's for some lunch (tradition!). It was just as delicious as I remember. After a little more shopping we came home again to prepare for Thanksmas festivities. I, however, was in dire need of a nap and gave in to that need. Dinner Friday night consisted of Chicken Cordon Bleu (tradition!), baked potatoes (of course), salad, corn, and sparkling cider. It was indeed a candle lit dinner with Manheim Steamroller Christmas music in the background. We finished a delightful meal off by giving Willem (the CUTEST kid in the world... hands down) a slice of his birthday cake. He, like most kids, picked up the whole slice and tried to shove it in his mouth. I must admit, it was quite cute. Like every other dinner that precedes gift giving, dishes were done in record time. After dinner and after Willem changed into his cute little pajamas, we began opening Christmas gifts. It's not even close when I say that the highlight of the evening was Willem wearing his cute little hat and then trying to do a backstroke in all the wrapping paper. I ask you, what's more precious than a happy, giggling 11 1/2 month old? I can't think of anything. After putting Willem to bed we all settled in to watch the movie 'Up', which was a big hit. Saturday morning we all went for breakfast to the Garden Cafe, grandpa and grandma Flikk included. It was delightful. After that Amber and Andrew began the long treck back to Iowa which was, unfortunately, the beginning of the end of our Thanksmas weekend. Once we got home Ashley and I decided to put together a gingerbread house kit that Mom had gotten for us. We should have paid more attention to the word 'mini' on the box when we were considering how much candy we would need. We had plenty of candy, which was nice, because there was more for us all to munch on. Before we finished the ginger bread houses one of Drew's friends stopped by to take him to the airport. Yet another Hoekie left the nest again. Henry and I were the only out of towners left. I spent most of the afternoon playing games with Ashley and Mom. We played some great quiddler! After still more turkey (this time in the form of 'turkey ala king'... yummmm), we had a quiet Saturday night around the Hoekie house. Sunday morning Henry and I woke up early and drove in to Bozeman to meet Dave and Steph Cole for lunch at Mainstreet Overeasy. We had a nice visit and a good breakfast. It was good to catch up with them again. From there we drove over to Bethel to enjoy one more service there before lewaving for Washington. The first advent candle was lit and pastor Brad preached a good message. Yet another nice Sunday morning. After church we went home to still another delicious smelling meal. Papa H had slaved all morning over a delicious looking prime rib. Mom and Dad worked on getting dinner on the table while Henry and I packed. The prime rib was absolutely delicious. Definately a great way to end a weekend of delicious eating! Shortly after lunch Mom and Dad drove us to the airport to fly back home to Seattle. What a great Thanksgiving weekend!

Now we're home again and enjoying all the things that December and anticipation of Christmas bring with it. This weekend our Sunday School group from school put the Christmas decorations up at church. Things went well and we were quite happy with the fellowship that we had while working on that project. Yesterday, however, I accepted the fact that I do, indeed, have quite the cold.

Today I drug myself out of bed, took some Sudafed and headed off to church. We had a good message from Pastor Clay and then enjoyed some time in our Sunday school class. I was happy, however, to get home and into my sweats. Most of today was spent napping and laying on the couch with a big box of Kleenex.

So, that's where we're at. Chief and I, curled up on the couch, watching football even though Henry isn't here (he's at his friend's house playing some dumb video game... but I still love him).

In case I don't post again, I wish you all a very blessed Christmas. I pray that God gives you peace and assurance of His perfect plan in your life!

Lots of love from Kent, WA-

- Lindsey and Chief (and Henry at heart)

No comments:

Post a Comment